What to expect for the service
What to expect for the 10 am Holy Communion Service @ St John’s
We look forward to welcoming you to St John’s for Sunday worship. The experience is different to pre-Covid times. Please do bear with us and follow the guidelines so that we may all be able to worship safely during these in-between times.
Entering the church
- Please join the queue to enter through the main entrance, leaving a 2m gap between yourself and the person in front.
- Hygiene requirements must be adhered to: There is hand sanitiser to use in the porch, or you may use the sinks in the toilets for handwashing.
- You will have to wear a face covering in church unless you have an exemption.
- Someone will take your details on entering for the purpose of traceability in the event of an outbreak. Please bring your own pen if possible. Lists will be securely stored for 21 days before being destroyed. Please refer to St John’s Track & Trace Privacy notice. Alternatively, and preferably, you can register electronically using the church QR code. Please download and use the test and trace app on your mobile phone.
- You will collect a service book and reading sheet but no hymn book as singing is not permitted in the church.
Inside the church
- Alternate pews have been labelled not in use to ensure social distancing/ places to sit are marked on the pews.
- Wait to be seated by the Welcome Team. It will not be possible for you to sit in your usual seat! The church will need to be filled in a certain order.
- We need to restrict the numbers of people in each pew according to the 2m social distancing measures: eitherone family or one couple and one individual (suitably spaced) or two individuals (suitably spaced).
- The collection plates cannot be passed around and will be left at the back of church for you to place your offering in either upon arrival or exit if you use this method of giving. Other, more Covid secure, methods are available: Ref “Parish Giving Scheme” or “Giving to your Church” leaflets.
- Communion will be taken in one kind (wafer only) standing in front of the Chancel steps. Please wait to be directed by the Welcome Team – the routes to receive communion will be different from normal.
- The Vicar will wear a face mask for this and no individual words of distribution will be said
Leaving the church
- At the end of the service, you will be asked to leave pew by pew to ensure distancing
- Please put your service book on the table in foyer. They will be boxed up and quarantined until the following Sunday
- Please take your reading sheet home with you
- Please leave promptly. Alas, the rule of six now prevents us from catching up in the churchyard so hurry home to join us on Zoom.
- We will need to clean the church after every service, prioritising the most frequently touched surfaces (please could any new volunteers contact Jenny McKeever). We use environmentally friendly cleaning products in church
- Toilets will be available
- There will be no access to the hall (unless we expand into this area for the service) and no refreshments afterwards
Recording the service
- We will be making an audio recording of the service which will be uploaded immediately afterwards to be available for those who have not been able to join us in church.