Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Vicar's column

We have been delighted at the generosity of St John’s folk in response to our three recent appeals: The Hardship Fund, EMBRACE the Middle East and the Giving Tree in aid of the Children’s Society. A huge thank you to everyone who has contributed. We have now built up sufficient funds for our Hardship Fund to go live – until such time that we run out of funds of course. See below for further information. There is still the opportunity to donate to this and to the Giving Tree if you are in a position to do so. This Advent and Christmas will be a particularly tough one for many and it is good if we can do our bit to help alleviate suffering. 

In this vein, I was personally dismayed to learn of the Government’s proposal to reduce UK spending on overseas aid from 0.7% to 0.5%. Prompted by the Archbishops and the Bishop of Oxford, I wrote to our local MP but the response I received was not encouraging, nor in tandem with Christian principles of giving. I wonder what they would make of our giving 12.5% of planned giving to our Missions? At St John’s, we take the biblical mandate for generous giving seriously. It is a joy to hear back from our Mission partners, as we did so recently from EMBRACE, about the positive impact our giving and that of others can have. 

Revd Dr Lisa Cornwell

St John the Baptist Parish Church Vicar's page