St John the Baptist Parish Church
Praying for others
In July we will be praying for:-
7th Brookers Corner, Bracknell Road, Cheyney Court
14th Pinehill Road
21st Kingsley Close, Byron Drive, Masefield Gardens, Shaw Park
28th Link Way, Coppice Gardens
Please note there will be no Praying for Streets in August
The background, for those who don’t know about Praying for Streets and just hear about it in the prayer intersessions on a Sunday, is that we endeavour to leaflet a particular street and then pray for that street the week after. This is an important part of our outreach to the community. It takes just over a year to cover all the streets in the Parish.
The number of people who deliver the leaflets has dwindled somewhat. If you could help us with delivering the leaflets, even just once a year to the street you live in, then please do speak to Mary Harwood and Anne Pelham.
We try to pray for every street, road or avenue in our Parish during the year.
Thank you, Anne Pelham
774973 / email@example.com.
SONNING DEANERY PRAYER CYCLE
This month our special focus is on St Mary's Twyford, St Nicholas Hurst and St James Ruscombe
Please pray for: Vicar: Rev’d Anna Harwood, Associate Priests: Rev’d Helen Charlton, Rev’d Graham Theobald, and Rev’d Groff Pugh. Licensed Lay Minister: Paul Minton
Church Wardens: Bill Barnes, Lucy Walton, Duncan Steele, Jenny Beasely and Sue Payne. Youth Workers: Connor Heath, Becci March, Children and Family Worker: Ele Buckley, Office and Operations Managers: Debbie Proctor, Alan Gwyn
In the Parish please pray for:
- Geoff Pugh Assistant Priest, for his retirement service on 7th July, giving thanks for his ministry and praying for support in the transition to his new life.
- The additional workload for Anna Harwood, Helen Charlton and Graham Theobald over coming months.
- The officers and members of Ruscombe and Twyford and St. Nicholas, Hurst PCCs
- The leadership, away day on 6th July that it is a productive and encouraging day as we look as working effectively together for God in our Benefice and LEP and our community
- Preparations for our annual Chattabox Holiday Club, which takes place at the end of August. And the team meeting on 4thJuly to plan and prayer together. The theme Backpackers: taking the children on a journey through the last week of Jesus’ life on earth.
- The prayer journeys in Polehampton Infants, Polehampton Juniors and St Nicholas Schools. These special mornings helping children to reflect on their transition from infants to juniors or year 6 into senior school.
- the family teddy bear’s picnic on 7thJuly, to which we especially invite families who have recently had a child baptised in one of our churches.
In the Deanery please pray for:
- The confirmation service taking place at St. Michael and All Angels Sandhurst on 14th July with candidates from St. Michael's and St Georges, Owlsmoor.
- The Woosehill Methodist stationing process for the new Methodist minister.
- Those being ordained as deacon or priest in the Diocese.
- All those waiting for their exam results or preparing to go to University.
- St. Paul's Wokingham Parish Bible Holiday Club hosted by Woosehill Church 25th to 26th July.
- The Summer Activities on the Morgan Rec, Crowthorne on the four consecutive Fridays starting with 26th July.
Praying for the Parish
Each month we issue a monthly prayer diary for the needs of the Parish.
Praying around the Churchyard
Jesus said “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest”. (Mark 6:31)
As we move into the better weather it is a good time to take advantage of our lovely Churchyard; to spend time enjoying the surroundings of the Church and to give God the chance to speak to us.
You can pick up a leaflet at Church to help you as you follow the path. There may be things that you have never noticed before. Enjoy exploring and as you go you may wish to repeat to yourself or say aloud ”‘O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens.” (Psalm 8:1)
This is a rack, which is fixed to the wall to the right of the main door into the Church and this is where the leaflets can be found.
The walk also gives an opportunity to appreciate how beautifully David Bainbridge and his team keep the Churchyard.
Please point the leaflets out to visitors to our Churchyard and make use of them yourself.
Prayers for healing
We pray for the sick every Friday evening in the Lady Chapel at 6pm. We include all the names from our prayer board and noticesheet as well as any others known to us for whom prayers have been asked. The service is a simple one taken by a different person each week and lasts about 30 minutes. Anyone is welcome to join us and we welcome requests for prayer.
If you would like to send prayer requests by email, click here.
Claire Taylor from the Vineyard and Janet Rodgers of St Sebastian’s have arranged to meet on Friday Mornings 10:30-11:30 at the vineyard Offices, Wellington Business Park to prayer walk along Duke’s Ride in particular praying for the new developments currently being built. If the weather is awful, we will meet inside! They would be delighted to be joined by any others from any of the other churches – either regularly or on a one-off basis.